Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Is Second place First place Loser?

     As March Madness begins, we know that each team will not accept anything less than the National Championship, first place. Nobody is going to discuss in the locker rooms the fact that they want to work real hard to get to the championship game then want to lose. After all, isn't second place the first place loser?
     When I taught school,  I coached the boys basketball team. I must admit that I was very fortunate to have some very good boys who played for me. I pushed them to win because nobody wants to be second, right? We were despised. Everybody brought their "A" game when they played us. As a coach, I was even boo'd one time when I walked into a gym during a tournament. Winning wasn't optional, it was the necessity.
     Is life like that? Aren't we seemingly seeking to please ourselves? Its my life I should be able to do with it what I want. Look at how hard I worked to get this promotion. I am the one that made it possible to be a part of this team. me, me ,me ,me....... It can become all about me and nothing else. However, as a believer in Christ, I am suppose to take a different road. I take the road of giver, not a taker. I take the road as lover, not a fighter. I take the road as server, not one being served. Most importantly with respect to Jesus, I take the road of second place, not the road of first. Jesus Christ should take first place in our life. This choice is more than a mere cliche. It is a lifestyle. I give myself away. My name is John Sowders and I am Second.... Declare it, Live it..!!!!!!
     Watch this video and then I will have some closing thoughts...
     Wow was my first words after I saw this. After what Christ did for me, I should have two desires that push to the forefront of my life. First, Place Christ first in my daily life. Second, bring others to Jesus. Could you imagine how the people felt there that day when they saw Jesus' crimson touch the sand. What a picture that brings to me. I am reminded of the story in the book of Mark where four men carry a paralytic to Jesus but they could not get him to Jesus for the crowd at the door so they tear the roof off and lower him to Jesus. They would not be detoured, they were going to get him to Jesus whatever it takes. Will we do that? Place Christ first then get people to Jesus whatever it takes.....
I am John Sowders and I am Second

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! When the world comes against us we should keep our eyes on the straight & narrow!

    ReplyDelete