Friday, March 23, 2012

A friend in need is a friend indeed??

     When I was growing up and my dad was alive, I remember going with him in the evenings or Saturdays when he wasn't on his regular job, which he worked for the same company for 46 years, You don't hear of that much these days. Anyway, we would go to peoples homes and install a gas stove or install a hot water tank. Sometimes we would have to run a new gas line into somewhere, but I always remember one thing my dad, he never would take the money he should have gotten. I have stood and watched my dad turn down money from widows and other people. I was young and I was thinking just give it to me. I can find somewhere for it to go. My dad made good money at his job and if he would have taken the money that was rightfully due him, I thought many times my dad could have been wealthy, but as I have gotten older and I look back on those times. I think my dad was the richest man alive during those days, and for me to be his son, I was pretty rich myself. Not to brag, but I had an awesome dad.
     I know for me, it goes without saying that I have had my Mom, my Sister, and my Brothers who have always stuck beside come what may. Their love and friendship is unconditional. Everyone needs a family member to lean on from time to time. Not to brag, but I have an awesome family.
     Later on life, God gave me something I had never enjoyed, a great father-in-law. By the time he and I met, cancer had taken its toll on his body and he wasn't able to speak. Boy did I ever long to hear his voice, one day I will. It didn't matter to John how he was feeling, he always had time to help someone. John also had the patience of Job. In all the time around him, I never saw him upset or mad. For some reason, I thought I was his protector sometimes when I felt people were taking advantage of him, but he would just treat it as typical day here on this earth. He was friend to many and befriended by more. Not to Brag, but I had an awesome Father-in-Law.
     As time passed, I was able to get to know people at Towering Oaks Baptist Church in Greeneville, TN. How I have been blessed since this encounter. As many of you know, Christina is pregnant and due anytime but she is on bed rest. People from within the church and our small groups class have been bringing our dinner almost every night. We are talking about ladies who are already having to decide what to cook for their own families, but they take the time to cook two meals that night. I could go on for days about the Pastor and his wife, None better!!! My heart trembles inside when I think about the generosity of God's people. Not to brag, but I belong to an awesome Church.
     As I truly look back over my life, some people have hurt me and disappointed me, but when I look at the big picture, many people have walked through my life and helped me. They have been a friend. The Bible says, "to him whom much is given, much is required". Today, I am going to set out to be a friend. It may very well be you that needs a friend. You possibly could be a friend to someone today, go ahead, it will be worth it.
     Even greater, the Bible says that Jesus is a friend that sticks closer than any brother...... Wow!!! Not to brag, but I have an awesome Savior in Jesus Christ.

I am John Sowders and I am Second...!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment