Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Good Enough?

     You have given it your best shot and now you sit on the bench to see if the coach calls out your name to tell you whether you made the team or not. It wouldn't be so tough if you hadn't been here before and tried and didn't make the team. All of the girls are standing in a hallway waiting for the cheerleading sponsor to bring the list and post it on the wall. The nervous excitement that comes from waiting can be overwhelming. You're at home and the phone rings and your heart skips a beat because you felt you did good in the interview but there were alot of people that put in for the same job. Will the person on the other end of the line tell me I got the job?
     We have spent many days in our lives waiting on someone to tell us if we were good enough. Good enough to make the basketball team. Good enough to make the cheerleading squad. Good enough to get the job you desperately need. We are constantly seeking man's approval. Sometimes it comes and we are overjoyed with appreciation, but then there are times when it doesn't go our way. How do we handle that? Do we ever get over being told we aren't good enough?
     Many people take this emotion with them everywhere. They take it to church with them. They take it into the presence of God with them. When you have been told so many times that you are not good enough, you begin to actually believe it. You actually begin to believe you're not good enough for God. After all, He is the Holy One, the creator and sustainer of this Universe.
     Am I really good enough for Christ to come into my life? Many people has this idea that you have to clean up first to come to Christ. After I quit kicking the dog and cussing the wife, I will come to Christ. It doesn't work that way. I could never ever do enough to earn God's favor. He gives it to me for free, just the way I am. My vehicle was so dirty one time that I was going to let a local boy clean it up for me, but I was so embarrassed by how dirty it was I took it and sprayed it off before I took it to be cleaned up. As you read that, you say to yourself, well that doesn't make sense and you're right, it doesn't. Neither does trying to clean myself up before I come to Christ.
     We come to Christ and He does the cleaning up. He does the straightening. The awesome news,,,,,, one day as we wait here on earth, we will hear Christ say our name. God placed me on His team not because of myself but because of what Christ did for me. He made me good enough..........

I am John Sowders and I am Second..!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment