Monday, May 28, 2012

The Church,,,, A Place for Fond Memories....

     I was a young boy when I realized I was a sinner and needed Jesus as my Savior. My Dad had just gotten saved and I had seen the awesome change that took place in his life and I knew, even though I hadn't lived a long life, I needed a Savior. After all, we all do. We are born with a sin nature that has to be dealt with. Ever since the age of 9, I have been in church. The church that Christ died for has been a part of almost my entire life.
     I have been a part of some really good churches and I have been around a few that were merely a social institution. Concord Baptist Church in Flat Lick, Ky will always hold a dear place in my heart. Almost my whole family accepted Christ as Savior in that church. I remember growing up in the youth department there playing basketball and volleyball constantly. A church needs to have things going on for the children and youth. It was at Concord that I preached the charge to Larry, my brother, and his church when he was ordained into the gospel. My Dad and brother Darrell was ordained as a deacon there. At one time, my entire family served the Lord in this church. The big old cobblestone church will always be special to me.
     As I started to get older, I started attending East Barbourville Baptist Church in Barbourville, Ky. It was at this church I felt God calling me into the ministry. I began to go out and speak at youth events. Pastors would invite me to come preach for them while they were away and sometimes even just to give me an opportunity to share. There are many men in the area back home that will hold a dear place in my heart for giving me those opportunities. East Barbourville Baptist Licensed me and Ordained me into the ministry. My ordination service will always hold a dear place in my heart because my Dad got to sit on my ordaining council. My dad has been dead almost 3 years now and the other day I look at my ordination certificate and just stared at my Dad's signature. He may be gone physically but he is always with me.
     Two churches have called me pastor through the years. Both Gray Baptist and Greasy Creek Baptist experienced growth during my leadership despite that I had no clue what I was really doing. I was in my twenties. What do you really know at that age?... ha ha.... In both situations, they were running very low numbers when I went there but they witnessed many confessions of Christ as Savior and large amounts of sheep coming back into the fold. God blessed the time in those churches and I will always cherish the time that a group of people called me their pastor.
     However, I have said all that to say this. God has allowed me to be a small part of something really incredible right now. I have been a part of some good churches but Towering Oaks Baptist Church is simply awesome. I did not say perfect. Remember, I go there. That automatically disqualifies them from that status with me as a part of it. However, It is amazing to me how God is working in this place. Our staff is top notch. Tommy Pierce, Johnny Mosley, Dennis Shumate, and just coming on board, Josh Pollock are a great group to work with to bring people to a knowledge of Christ in their lives. The people of the church are welcoming and inviting. Christ is exalted in this place and I am so proud to call Towering Oaks my home.
     This coming Sunday, Christina and I will be launching The Well. The Well will be a small group that devotes itself to a greater knowledge of Christ and His call on our lives. Only God knows the impact this group will have on our community. It is my prayer that Jesus will be a matter of conversation in Greene County, Tennessee and that Towering Oaks Baptist Church will be a leader in exposing Christ to a lost community. I want my children to look back one day and reflect on the church they attended and Towering Oaks will always hold a very special place in their heart regardless of where they are living.

I am John Sowders and I have been to The Well..!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment