Thursday, May 17, 2012

Are we suppose to lay it all down and follow Him?

     Many years ago, My father-in-law decided we needed to fence the mountain off in case we wanted to just turn some of the rougher stock up on the hill. Just so you know, when I said we, it meant me. When Christina and I first got together, he wouldn't let me help him do anything, but it didn't take him too long to out grow that feeling. He and I were going to walk up on the hill and he was going to show me where to fence. I carried some fence and posts up the hill while we were going. After a little while, the hill was getting steep and I wouldn't be able to stay with him cause the load I was carrying was slowing me down. John couldn't speak cause he lost his voicebox to cancer but he wrote me a note and told me to lay that stuff down and come on. I was able to stay with him stride for stride now because I didn't have anything with me to slow me down. You know how it is too, you are constantly stopping and having to readjust.
     It was amazing how much more focused I was on the mountains and the scenery as we traveled up the steep hill. Before I laid down the fencing and posts, I was concerned with my load and was constantly thinking how much farther until we get there. I was just enjoying the walk with John now because that's all I had to think about.
     I wonder how much of our life is like that with God. We go through life and it seems that we use to have or place importance upon has disappeared. Some of the things we lose is welcomed while there some things we have to give up that we question. We worked hard for that now its gone. I use to be able to do that but money is tight now so I have limit some activities. However, what if it was going to be a burden to us while we are following God to where He is taking us. Was it something I was going to constantly have to readjust? Was it going to be something that would take my eye off the journey?
     I wonder if God sometimes treats us just like John did me that day. Lay it down and come on with me. I hate to lose things. I hate to feel like I am losing some things that I really enjoy, but Jesus said take up your cross and follow me. Does following Jesus mean that I have to give some things up. Most certainly it does. We are told to lay aside the sin that does so easily beset us in Hebrews so that we may run the race with endurance. I know when I laid down the fencing and posts, my endurance went up tremendously.
     I know it may be difficult when your world may seem to be crumbling all around you, but just remember that God may be getting rid of some things that will keep you from seeing His glory. I know when John and I made it to the top of the mountain, it was the most beautiful view in all the world. Just think about the view that God wants to show us when we get there.......

I am John Sowders and I am Second..!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment